This post is about Friday, even thought it’s Saturday now. Friday I woke up, cleaned up, got dressed, got breakfast. Then I woke the boy up, got the boy cleaned up, dressed the boy, and got the boy breakfast. Then, against his protests, I took the boy to school. I went to work. Logged in, started answering emails and voicemails. Everything at the beginning of my day was fairly standard.

The middle of my day was full of people asking me for help, desperate to beat the deadline and unable to fight the battle with the computer without expert assistance. I reached my peak stress level at 4:00, when I had a phone call from someone who must have just needed to vent, and decided to do so for 20 minutes in my general direction.

Then, sometime after 6 pm, after picking up the babysitter, Weston & I drove to Lodi to see a Glen Phillips show. We stopped by Long John Silver’s, and had exactly 5 minutes to eat our food in the parking lot before going in. I’m glad we ate fast (even though it also made me sad, because if I’m going to eat battered, fried, delectable fish, I’d like to sit and enjoy it), because the show started nearly on time.

It was in the Hutchins Street Theater, which is this marvelous (and inexplicable) theater in the middle of Lodi. There are these light fixtures on the wall – inverted triangles with brushed glass and sculpted metal vines wrapping around – beautiful. There’s also a large display of yo-yos in the hallway. Apparently, sometime last month, they set a record in there for the most people using miniature yo-yos at the same time (408?).

Anyway, when we walked in, Glen was just starting. We picked some seats on the side, instead of crawling all over people to get to our assigned seats in the middle, and I have to say, I could not have been happier with the experience. The sound was great. Glen’s voice were clear and lovely, ringing through the whole room, which was utterly quiet (in a respectful and friendly way, not a sad and empty way). Glen talked quite a bit – which I really enjoyed. He also made the audience sing a bit – which I also really enjoyed. I thought to myself, sometime during the show, “I’m glad he writes music.” It probably comes at some (not small) personal cost though. Being a professional musician is one of those things that people think would just be fun and games and it probably is fun sometimes, but there’s also a lot of pressure and being away from your family and adding up the money and trying to make things work. So I thought to myself, “I’m glad he writes music,” and I guess what I meant was, “I’m glad he pays the price, so I can enjoy this music.”

Other things I thought during (or about) the show:

  • This man has worked with Sean & Sara Watkins and Chris Thile. I wonder what that was like.
  • He’s also been in the same room with a lot of other musicians and interesting people.
  • If all the people he’s ever been in a room with were glowing points of light on a map of the world, I wonder what that would look like.
  • Shadows of musicians look really cool.
  • I wonder if the fog machine makes it harder to sing.
  • This is such a good song.
  • I think I need to make some minor adjustments to my own life.
  • One thought on “Friday.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.